BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 10, 2009

ADORNING OUR LIVES WITH DUNG


In Paul's letter to the Philippians, he writes:

"What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ" (3:8)

What is rubbish? Well, in Paul's reference, he is using a term that was a vulgar term that would have some shock value if it were said in public. The greek translation actually means dung, or fecal matter. In reference to things that are "worthless" or "detestable." As of late, the consideration of earthly treasures (Matthew 6:19)has been overwhelmingly on my heart. I would love to be able to speak in the same confidence that Paul did, and say of myself that I "consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord," but if I'm honest, too often I seek to adorn my life with treasures of dung. No wonder they never satisfy. And without fail, I am always left longing for something greater. No wonder I am left satisfied when I am faced with a void in my heart, and I choose to fall to my knees begging for the nearness of God. His nearness really is our good.

Although I still often choose earthly treasures that only rob my affection for Jesus Christ, I am grateful that the Lord has grabbed my heart, and that He does not cease to be after me, regardless of whether or not I'm covered in dung. The Holy Spirit has stirred this prayer in my heart, and I pray that you will continually pray this scripture over your heart as well. The great truth to rest in is the conclusion of the verse, which tells us that if our hearts line up with this, we "gain Christ."

"I pray that I would consider everything rubbish compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing You. I pray that I would lose all things, and consider them rubbish, so that I may gain more of You."